Sikkim councillor Raju Tamang

Gangtok: Sikkim chief minister Prem Singh Golay on Sunday paid his tribute to Raju Tamang, the newly-elected councilor from Arithang II ward of Gangtok Municipal Corportion (GMC), who died in Nivedita Super Speciality Hospital in Siliguri, West Bengal on Sunday morning.

Earlier in the day, EastMojo had published a story of his death after confirming with officials of STNM Hospital, where Tamang was initially admitted in the COVID-19 section on April 20.

When asked if the deceased councillor was COVID-19 positive, an official of STNM Hospital said, “There is no reason why any other patient would be admitted in the COVID Hospital.”

However, sources close to the family claimed that Tamang was not infected with COVID-19 and had a history of MDR-TB.

“His test report from Nivedita Super Speciality Hospital is yet to come. He died of cardiac arrest,” claimed the family members.

Meanwhile, CM Golay took to his social media handles to pay tribute to the departed councilor who was yet to take charge of office.

“I am shocked and saddened to hear about the untimely demise of Shri Raju Tamang, who was recently elected as the councilor from Arithang. He was one of the sincere and hardworking members of Sikkim Krantikari Morcha party and always extended a helping hand,” he wrote.

During the CM’s visit to the Paljor Stadium COVID Care Centre on Sunday, members of the press asked him about the deceased councilor. Golay said: “Raju Tamang was initially admitted in STNM Hospital, but his case worsened here. His family requested for referral and he was sent to Siliguri. STNM hospital administration provided him ambulance, a nurse and he was in ventilator. He was in Nivedita nursing home, he had got better and was shifted from ICU to general ward two days ago. I had been monitoring, our protocol officers were in touch for all patients admitted in Siliguri, the administration was in contact with his family as well.”

Also read: Sikkim COVID-19: STNM Hospital adds 115 beds, workforce a big concern

Golay further said: “But yesterday morning he had cardiac arrest, he was once again in ventilator. He had another cardiac arrest last night and he expired this morning. I was informed this morning at 7 am.”

“He was wonderful young leader; he had donated one of his kidneys to his brother. He was a patient of MDR, that is his co-morbidity, and he died young. He was elected by all people of Arithang ward, he had won. But with his demise we are sad, and we pray for his soul and for his family,” he added.

Trending Stories

Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment Cancel reply