Gangtok: Sikkim reported 25 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, 13 of which were from capital Gangtok. Of the 25 new cases, 24 were reported from East Sikkim and one from Darap in West Sikkim district.
With this, Sikkim recorded 149 new COVID-19 cases in the past one week, 145 of which were reported from East Sikkim, and the remaining four from the other three districts of the state.
Among the 25 new cases reported on Tuesday, three were non-residents hailing from from Bihar, Nagaland and Tamil Nadu. Among them, only one (from Bihar) has been confirmed as a tourist.
Meanwhile, on Tuesday, Sikkim witnessed a massive vaccination drive with 8,770 people being vaccinated. Of these, 8,312 received their first jab while 458 were administered their second shot.
As part of the daily health bulletin, health department official Sonam Bhutia said, “There was a massive rush during the vaccination drive at STNM Hospital and Gymnasium Hall in Paljor Stadium, largely because people had a misconception that the vaccination drive was only till April 14. We would like to clarify that the drive will continue and there is no deadline for vaccination. We urge people to avoid crowding, as it beats the purpose of social distancing and the necessary safety protocols against the spread of the coronavirus.”
Currently, there are 175 active cases in Sikkim, taking the total number of COVID-19 cases to 6,435 in the state so far.
- Assam: Panic in Sonitpur after Russell’s Viper kills teenager
- Hornbill Festival: Akashvani showcases vintage radio equipment
- Assam: Mahura Weaves opens showroom at Guwahati’s Roodraksh Mall
- Cong ignored spirit of anti-BJP alliance in state polls: Ex-Tripura CM
- Nagaland’s Keneilelie Sorünuo wins Silver in National Bodybuilding C’ship
- Digitised records from wildlife centres show how humans harm wild animals