Gangtok: At least three loaded trucks fell into a ditch as the bridge over Phamrong River in West Sikkim collapsed last evening. Each of the vehicles had only their respective drivers, and only one truck driver sustained major injuries while the other two escaped unhurt.
According to district officials, the incident took place in Labing, around 10 km away from Yuksam on Tuesday evening around 7.30.
The collapse of the bridge will create enormous conveyance difficulties for residents who depend on it for daily movement.
The collapsed bridge appeared to be in tattered condition, with evident rusting and broken materials. A local resident claimed that it could very easily be 25 years old, and no efforts have been made to renovate it or maintain it. He exclaimed it was bound to fall given its dismal condition.
This is a developing story. More details are awaited.
- DoNER minister lays foundation stone of Parashuram Kund
- Oldest human footprints in North America found in New Mexico
- IIM Shillong hosts 2-day summit on food processing opportunities
- Govt seals mega deal with Airbus for purchase of 56 C-295 military transport aircraft
- Journey of Sensex: From 1,000 to 60,000 in over 31 years
- BJP’s Ratan Chakraborty elected Speaker of Tripura Assembly