Gangtok: Social media in Sikkim is abuzz with support for the students protest while condemning Additional Chief Secretary GP Upadhayay, Education Department, Sikkim Police, and Sikkim Government for arresting the students.
It appears that Sikkim Police received a complaint from the Additional Chief secretary alleging that he was not allowed to exit his office or work properly by the students. Resulting in the arrest of the students.
The students on the contrary are claiming that they will file a counter FIR against the ACS for allegedly pushing female students out of his way to make his exit on Friday evening.
Support for the student’s protest has now gained momentum with scores of Sikkimese residents and politicians condemning the arrest.
Commenting on the situation, Hamro Sikkim Party President Bina Basnett said, “This democracy we have got at a great cost is in threat today. HSP strongly condemns the arrest of students of Geyzing college, who were raising the pertinent issues on infrastructure development of their campus which is long due. The department instead of arranging a meeting and coming to an amicable solution has instead used undemocratic measures to curb their voices and suppress their rights.”
Former Sikkim Pradesh Congress Committee President Bharat Basnet also shared multiple status updates on his Facebook page to express his concerns.
Elsewhere,the ruling party’s students wing were seen busy hosting a bike rally event at MG Marg, merely 500 metres away from Sadar Police Station.
- Indo-Nepal joint military training exercise in Pithoragarh from Monday
- 2 Indian projects among 15 finalists for Prince William’s Earthshot Prize
- Gadkari gets Rs 4 lakh royalty per month from YouTube for lecture videos
- NIA arrests key conspirator in Manipur Rifles arms theft case
- Central govt very keen towards welfare of Kashmiri migrants: Sonowal
- The Wire receives IPI’s Free Media Pioneer Award