Gangtok: Social media in Sikkim is abuzz with support for the students protest while condemning Additional Chief Secretary GP Upadhayay, Education Department, Sikkim Police, and Sikkim Government for arresting the students.
It appears that Sikkim Police received a complaint from the Additional Chief secretary alleging that he was not allowed to exit his office or work properly by the students. Resulting in the arrest of the students.
The students on the contrary are claiming that they will file a counter FIR against the ACS for allegedly pushing female students out of his way to make his exit on Friday evening.
Support for the student’s protest has now gained momentum with scores of Sikkimese residents and politicians condemning the arrest.
Commenting on the situation, Hamro Sikkim Party President Bina Basnett said, “This democracy we have got at a great cost is in threat today. HSP strongly condemns the arrest of students of Geyzing college, who were raising the pertinent issues on infrastructure development of their campus which is long due. The department instead of arranging a meeting and coming to an amicable solution has instead used undemocratic measures to curb their voices and suppress their rights.”
Former Sikkim Pradesh Congress Committee President Bharat Basnet also shared multiple status updates on his Facebook page to express his concerns.
Elsewhere,the ruling party’s students wing were seen busy hosting a bike rally event at MG Marg, merely 500 metres away from Sadar Police Station.
- Indian, Pakistani independence 75 years on: Unresolved conflicts and Kashmir
- Why the ‘Mizoram Single Mothers Foundation’ came into existence
- ‘Laal Singh Chaddha’ lacks that sense of urgency and seriousness
- NF Railway makes record collection of nearly Rs 36 crores in fine from ticketless travelers
- Mizoram logs 178 new COVID-19 cases
- Tripura minister sets focus on sports to combat drugs