GANGTOK: A 57-year-old man has been arrested by the Sikkim Police for allegedly sexually assaulting his 10-year-old niece. The incident came to light after the victim’s father filed an FIR with the at the Temi Police Station in South Sikkim.
The 10-year-old victim from Lower Tanak in South Sikkim was allegedly repeatedly molested by her uncle, a 57-year-old man. The child’s father has told the police that the accused perpetrated the sexual assault at a nearby jungle at least on three different occasions.
The alleged accused had threatened the victim against disclosing the incidents and had lured her with money, the police said.
South District Superintendent of Police Thakur Thapa told EastMojo that the accused is now in police custody and further investigations are on.
“Medical examination has confirmed there was some form of sexual penetration,” Thapa said.
A case has been registered under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
- Ceasefire far from lasting peace, says national security expert on Israel-Hamas deal
- Assam Pavilion bags silver medal at IITF Delhi
- What’s needed to educate boys about gender violence
- 13 new hydel projects to boost Arunachal energy sector: Power minister
- Meghalaya: ‘Cake Mixing Ceremony’ ushers in festive mood
- Delhi man’s 21,000 KM blood donation walk reaches Nagaland