Also Read: Sikkim Govt adopts resolution to include left communities as Schedule Tribe
Gangtok (PTI): Two persons were arrested on Monday for allegedly hacking a 75-year-old woman to death and looting her gold jewellery and cash, police said.
The deceased’s grandson and her caretaker were arrested for allegedly killing her on January 9 and decamping with the looted items, East Sikkim Superintendent of Police Shiva Yellasiri said.
They were nabbed from a hotel in Tadong near Gangtok.
Also Read: A Sikkim tribe trying to save ‘paradise’ from woes of development
The duo was attempting to flee to Siliguri in West Bengal, where they intended to sell the looted jewellery, he said.
Based on a complaint lodged by the woman’s son, police found out that the duo was missing and tracked them through their mobile tower location, the officer said.
Also Read: Living on the edge: Sikkim man left hanging by the cliff for 6 hours
The possibility of revenge for committing the crime cannot also be ruled out as one of the accused is the deceased’s grandson, he said.
A case has been registered and further investigation is underway, the officer added.
- Pakistan out of economic vulnerability phase: Finance Minister Dar
- Army unveils trophy of ‘Red Shield Assam Badminton’ tourney
- USTM mulls centre for sustainable development for Northeast
- Manipur: 130 weapons deposited in Imphal arms ‘dropbox’
- Arunachal to focus on people’s support for sustainable development
- ‘Biparjoy’ likely to intensify into extremely severe cyclonic storm in 12 hrs: IMD