Gangtok: Sikkim police is sending a strong message to individuals using fake Facebook accounts to spread communual hatred.
Two indivuduals were arrested on Tuesday for disturbing communal harmony in the state and defamation.
The accused identified as Rajesh Rai was using the username ‘Simran Gurung’ with four-five other individuals to incite communal disharmony in Sikkim.
The complainst against him was filed by Sikkim Bhutia Lepcha Apex Committee President Tseten Tashi Bhutiaon August 6.
Sikkim CID Superintendent of Police Tenzing Loden Lepcha stated, “The fake Facebook account registered in the name of Simran Gurung was used by four to five people of which one namely Rajesh Rai of 3rd Mile JN Road has been arrested. Others involved are yet to be traced as some of the active devices show locations in Darjeeling and Kalimpong districts of West Bengal. We are working with the West Bengal Police to arrest the accused individuals. So far, Rajesh Rai has been booked under Indian Penal Code sections 153A/505/506/120B which are cognisable and non-bailable offences”.
In the other case, Prakash Gurung was arrested from Pakyong in East Sikkim; he is accused of outraging a woman’s modesty. He was using a fake account with the username Devika Chettri
Gurung was arrested on November 2 under the Indian Penal Code sections 354/509 and 67A IT Act.
SP CID also informed that around 50 complaints from across the state had been registered against such fake Facebook accounts. The recently established cybercrime lab of the Sikkim Police was instrumental in identifying such fake accounts.
Also Read: AASU stages protest against price hike
- Indus Water Treaty a technical matter, both countries will talk to each other: Jaishankar
- US venture capitalists hope India’s Budget 2023 strengthens startup ecosystem
- PIL filed in SC challenging Centre’s decision to ban BBC documentary
- UK PM Rishi Sunak sacks Tory party chief over tax penalty row
- Arunachal CM asks BJP workers not to allow ‘money culture’ during elections
- Widows of deceased employee entitled to family pension: Gauhati HC