Gangtok: Sikkim’s COVID death tally crosses 50, with two new casualties recorded on Wednesday taking the State tally to 51.
Among the two deaths, the first recorded was from Lower Rongdong in North Sikkim where a 32-year-old lady succumbed to co-morbidities of TB Meningitis and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) and Sepsis. She was admitted at STNM Hospital on October 3.
The other COVID casualty was an Indo Tibetan Border Police personnel, also based in North Sikkim. The 34-year-old Jawan was admitted on Wednesday and succumbed to co-morbidities of severe ARDS around 3:45 pm.
In an earlier case of an paramilitary or Army personnel expiring, the jawan was not cremated in the State. He was handed over to the army to be taken to his native village in West Bengal for creamation. However, in the case of the Jawan that expired today, it remains unclear.
The state health department officials maintained that the onus of cremation lies with the ITBP as per their requirement, with the alternative of cremation at Jalipool also being considered.
The two deaths also marked 18 deaths in the last 10 days in the State.
Meanwhile, the COVID positive tally in the State has now reached 3,234 with 18 new cases reported on Wednesday with 570 active cases. The district-wise spread of COVID is still led by populous East Sikkim recording 17 cases taking the district tally to 2,321 positive cases so far.
South Sikkim recorded a single positive case taking the tally to 680. West and North Sikkim didn’t record any case on Wednesday with a cumulative tally of 143 and nine positive cases respectively.
- Mizoram poll watchdog seeks action over model code violation
- Mizoram: Fourth consecutive day with under 1,000 fresh Covid-19 cases
- Arunachal: Bike thief, five others arrested from Seppa
- Aizawl-Shillong among six air routes flagged off in NE
- Tripura TMC members gherao police station over attack on youth leader
- Fabindia’s ‘Jashn-e-Riwaaz’ sparks controversy, Netizens allege ‘Abrahamisation’ of Diwali