Gangtok: Sikkim’s police forces are now the latest victims of COVID-19 in the state. As per latest reports, two more personnel from Sadar Police Station in Gangtok, apart from a few other cases, have been found to be infected with the novel coronavirus in the past week.
The result has been sealing of the Sadar Police Station for the next 48 hours. All proceedings will follow at a makeshift traffic police outpost at Titanic Park on MG Marg.
Speaking with EastMojo, DIG Range and spokesperson of Sikkim Police Prawin Gurung said: “It’s a makeshift police station until Sadar Thana which has been sanitised. The ground floor of the building is still functional as a traffic office. The jail shall remain open for the said period of time but fully contained.”
On the rising number of cases, Gurung admitted that the numbers are definitely in the double digit in the force. “There have been a lot of positive cases, but we are compiling the data. In this particular case of two positive patients, they are new and not contacts of previous police personnel. The number of cases in the police force has crossed the double digit, with cases being reported from Sikkim Police in other districts as well, along with those from the Indian Reserve Batallion and Sikkim Armed Police as well.”
- Northeast to be developed as India’s bio-economic hub: Jitendra Singh
- Sikkim logs 27 new COVID-19 cases, 1 fresh fatality
- IIT-Delhi to offer BTech course in Energy Engineering from 2021 academic session
- Liquor worth Rs 720 crore sold in Bengal during Durga Puja
- Making NE a strong economic zone important: Meghalaya CM
- Meghalaya home minister allays fears regarding HNLC diktat