Gangtok: Sikkim Pradesh Congress Committee (SPCC) president Bharat Basnet resigned from his post. He forwarded his resignation to the All India Congress Committee (AICC) in Delhi.
On being asked if there was any rift within the Congress party, Basnet admitted, “AICC has recently appointed Kuljit Singh Nagra as Sikkim incharge of the party without consulting with the State committee even once. The State committee has always been suffering due to such decisions of the central committee. If the central command always underestimates us and do not respect the sentiments and feelings of the local people, then we are not satisfied with the decision of the party. such decision hurts our self-respect”.
Basnet was appointed as the Sikkim Pradesh Congress Committee president on October 2, 2015, and was serving as President for the second consecutive time. Earlier, he had served as the State youth president of Congress Party from 1994 to 1997 and later served in other posts in his association with the Congress party for three decades. He also contested three assembly elections and once as Lok Sabha candidate from the Congress party in Sikkim.
- Two Rohingyas detained outside Army camp in Jammu
- Mizoram poll watchdog seeks action over model code violation
- Mizoram: Fourth consecutive day with under 1,000 fresh Covid-19 cases
- Arunachal: Bike thief, five others arrested from Seppa
- Aizawl-Shillong among six air routes flagged off in NE
- Tripura TMC members gherao police station over attack on youth leader