Gangtok: Incessant rains have caused flash floods and landslides in Passingdang area of Upper Dzongu in North Sikkim since Saturday night.
The flash floods have destroyed several houses and properties. However, there has been no reports of casualty so far.
Sources from the spot report that flash floods started around 8 pm on Saturday night. So far, 19 houses have been fully damaged, and a small bridge has been washed away.
The distance between Passingdang and North Sikkim district headquarters Mangan is 20 km and the flash floods have affected the roads at five different places.
The affected families have been shifted to Passingdang PHC.
The area MLA Pintso Namgyal Lepcha, North Sikkim DC and SP, and various officials are on the spot taking stock of the situation. They are interacting with the affected persons.
By Sunday evening, a relief packaged will be distributed among the affected.
Meanwhile, Union minister of state (independent charge) for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Jitendra Singh took to Twitter to talk about the development. “Spoken to CM #Sikkim Sh Tamang
@GolayPs thrice since morning and keeping constant touch with him.
North Sikkim district hit by landslides and flash floods.However, no loss of life reported so far.
NDRF team being deputed and further help,as required,assured by Govt of India,” he tweeted.
- Nepal: PM Deuba vows to protect, implement statute on Constitution Day
- Taliban-run Kabul municipality to female workers: Stay home
- WhileWeWonder: The duo speak about Xewali and their musical journey
- Girish And The Chronicles signs with Italian label Frontiers Music
- Backdoor entry in colleges should stop: Delhi High Court
- Fresh COVID-19 cases outnumber recoveries in Nagaland after 9 days