Gangtok: Namchi girl Manila Pradhan didn’t let stereotyping come in the way of pursuing her dreams. Her determination has paid off as she has now bagged the title of ‘MTV Supermodel of the Year’, a reality fashion show aired on MTV India and Voot.
During her audition days, Pradhan was apparently rejected because of her ‘Northeastern’ face. She used to be called by many names such as Chinese, Korean, Chinki, momos and even Hakka Noodles.
The show, which started on December 22 last year, is based on the concept of grooming and training models for the fashion industry. In the grand finale held on Sunday, Manila defeated Drisha More ad Priya Singh to take the pageant home.
After winning the show, Pradhan said: “It’s not less than a dream come true for me. One of the strongest things that I learned and would like to take away with me from this journey is to be yourself.”
In a recent promo video shared by MTV India on social media, Pradhan — who has a degree in pharmacy — shared her struggles and problems that she faced when she decided to be a part of the fashion world. Commenting on people being stereotyped, she said in the video that it was high time people change their thinking about such things prevailing in the society for too long now.
- These must-have foods help you have a happy and healthy heart
- In a first, 3 cases of Delta plus variant reported in Mizoram
- Hilsa lovers rejoice as Bangladesh promises export of more fish
- Walkathon and Cyclothon to celebrate World Alzheimer’s Day in Guwahati
- World Rhino Day: Assam to burn 2,479 confiscated rhino horns
- Lake of No Return: India’s ‘Bermuda Triangle’ along Arunachal-Myanmar border