Gangtok: In a rare occurrence, Sikkim’s capital Gangtok and its surrounding areas witnessed light snowfall on Sunday afternoon. Areas like Vajra, Tathangchen, Ganesh Tok, Chandmari and Tashi View Point received light snowfall. The snowfall is likely to bring relief from intense cold wave conditions prevailing in Sikkim since Saturday.
Already, many parts of North Sikkim and East Sikkim received heavy snowfall on Saturday.
Meanwhile, India Meteorological Department, Sikkim director GN Raha informed that the increase in the minimum temperature is due to the cyclonic circulation over sub-Himalayan West Bengal and adjoining Bangladesh and it will remain till Monday.
Commenting on the light snowfall in Gangtok and its surrounding areas, Raha said such an occurrence was recorded 15 years ago.
Even though tourists are rejoicing the cold weather, locals are facing difficulties to carry out their daily tasks. Very less vehicular movement was also observed in capital Gangtok.
- BTS at UNGA: ARMY call them inspiration for future generations
- BJP worker trampled to death by elephants in Assam
- Heroin worth Rs 3.5 crore seized in Assam’s Karbi Anglong
- Assam Jobs: DEE Assam announces 9354 teacher vacancies, see details
- Sikkim’s Bkey Agarwal finishes second in Nepal’s Comedy Champion
- Watch: BTS live at the United Nations General Assembly