Gangtok: The upper reaches of North Sikkim, particularly Lachen, received the season’s first snowfall on Tuesday, giving tourists to the Himalayan state a reason to cheer.
Snowfall in the state usually takes place in January while it does not snow in the capital city Gangtok.
The first accumulating snowfall of the season occurred over portions of Lachen village in North Sikkim on Monday evening. As per Pipon, village head of Lachen Kuntub Lachenpa under Lachen Dzumsa, parts of Gurdongmar and Thangu village witnessed accumulating snowfall.
Due to the brief duration and relatively low intensity, the snow accumulated in grassy areas only.
During the last 24 hours, Sikkim has had a very chilly weather and a cold wave has gripped the entire state.
Check out the pictures below:
- Assam: Mahura Weaves opens showroom at Guwahati’s Roodraksh Mall
- Cong ignored spirit of anti-BJP alliance in state polls: Ex-Tripura CM
- Nagaland’s Keneilelie Sorünuo wins Silver in National Bodybuilding C’ship
- Digitised records from wildlife centres show how humans harm wild animals
- Mizoram: ZPM promises zero tolerance against corruption
- Assam’s Rabha Hasong council bolsters tourism with new projects