Gangtok: Yonex Sunrise Northeast Zone Inter-State Badminton Championship 2019 commenced at the Paljor Stadium in Gangtok, Sikkim on Thursday.
Badminton Association of Sikkim (BAS) has got the opportunity to host the championship for the first time, which happens once in eight years in every Northeast state.
The four-day-long championship will witness competitions among 162 players from all the eight NE states, including top national-ranking players such as Dingku Singh Konthoiam and Manjit Singh Khwairakpam from Manipur (India No.1 ranking in boys doubles U-19 and India international), Ashmita Chaliha from Assam (India ranking No.2 and world ranking no. 87 in women’s singles) and Maisnam Meiraba from Manipur (India ranking no.1, singles U-19).
MLA GT Dhungel, who was the chief guest, congratulated the BAS for hosting it in such a grand manner.
Also Read: Incessant rain, landslides hit West Sikkim; Yuksam remains cut off
Thendup Tseten Bhutia, organising secretary-cum-vice president, BAS, highlighted the importance of this championship which will help the players qualify for the nationals.
“Sikkim is hosting it for the first time which is indeed an honor for the state and BAS. Secondly, it is a very important event for all the participants as it is the direct entry for the team champions to the nationals,” Bhutia said.
- Spouses of H-1B visa holders can work in US, says judge
- India to unveil new Foreign Trade Policy 2023-28
- Former civil servants condemn Rijiju’s remarks on judiciary in open letter
- FSSAI allows labelling curd in regional names amid controversy
- Meghalaya: Asian leopard cat rescued by GHADC forest officials
- IOC asks IOA to appoint CEO without further delay