Gangtok: Leading players of the region, including Ashmita Chaliha, Maisnam Meiraba, Bidyasagar Salam, Dingku Sing Konthoujam, Manjit Singh Khwairakpam and Maheshwari Devi Kshetrimayum, are likely to participate in the Northeast Zone Inter-State Badminton Championship to be held in Paljor Stadium Complex of Gangtok in Sikkim from September 19 to 22.
The championship, which takes place once in eight years in every Northeast state, has given the responsibility to Sikkim to host the event this time.
The Badminton Association of Sikkim (BAS) is proud of its infrastructure to host the competition, said C Zangpo, its president, during a press conference held at the Press Club of Sikkim in Gangtok on Tuesday.
Altogether, 160 players from different Northeastern states, including Sikkim, are participating in the event. Each team comprises of 20 players and team officials, he added.
The winner of the event will get a direct entry into the national championship to be held in Goa later this year as a zonal winner. Five such players from the same number of zones of the country will get direct entries in the forthcoming national event.
- PM’s call for mass drive on Sunday an insult: Manipur TNL
- Assam: Train equipped with state-of-art features flagged off
- No hope of Left’s revival in Tripura, says leader of Oppn Animesh Debbarma
- How a neurosurgeon is training the next gen of Wushu athletes of Manipur
- Meghalaya: Harijan Colony issue could be solved this year, says deputy CM
- Tripura: National Highway blocked, railway affected during TIPRA bandh