Gangtok: Football icon Bhaichung Bhutia has been named as a member of the committee which selects sportsperson for top national sports awards like Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Dhronacharya Award and Arjuna Award for the year 2019.
Taking to his social media account on Thursday, Bhutia said that he is honoured to be a part of the selection committee which has 12 members. “We assure that the most deserving sportspersons would be given the awards,” he added.
The former football captain further appealed sportspersons and others not to call him or any committee members to influence on the awards selection in any way.
The committee was notified on August 6 by the Union sports and youth affairs ministry and is headed by retired Supreme Court Justice M Sharma. Prominent members in the committee are athlete Anju Bobby George and boxer MC Mary Kom.
The committee will also select awardees for Dhyan Chand award, Rashtriya Khel Protshan Puruskar and Maulana Abul Kalam Azad trophy.
- Watch: Meghalaya children fall sick after eating ice cream
- Develop ALGs to start fixed-wing flight services in Arunachal: CM to Centre
- Tokyo logs record 5,042 new COVID-19 cases as infections surge amid Olympic Games
- Arunachal: Centre okays memorial for jawan who killed 79 Chinese soldiers in 1962 war
- Assam Gorkhas won’t be tried and prosecuted under the Citizenship Act
- Nagaland Assembly concerned over school ‘occupied’ by Assam Police 14 yrs ago