Gangtok: Former Indian football captain Bhaichung Bhutia was conferred with the ‘Icon and Product of the Century’ award as part of the centenary celebrations of East Bengal Football Club in Kolkata, West Bengal on Thursday.
The sportsperson-turned-politician received the award from the professional association football club’s president Pronab Dasgupta.
According to the club, it bagged maximum victories and titles during Bhutia’s tenure in the club. East Bengal was Bhutia’s first professional football club where he played for 10 years and scored 148 goals setting the record for the highest goal scorer till date.
“I am extremely honoured to receive this award. It’s a historic event for all of us as East Bengal is among few clubs who have completed glorious 100 years. I am proud to be associated with this iconic club that has produced many good players for the nation and is still working in promoting footballers and football,” said Bhutia.
The celebrations also witnessed the presence of several renowned sportspersons like Kapil Dev and Sunil Chettri, among many former and current football players.
- Murky water: Meghalaya MLA goes all guns blazing at minister
- GoPro Hero 10 Black launched. Check specifications, price, more
- Nagaland Lottery September 17: Check Dear Hooghly Morning lottery result
- Congress celebrates PM’s birthday as #NationalUnemploymentDay, Twitterati play along
- Modi calls for SCO template to fight radicalisation, extremism
- IT dept widens probe against actor Sonu Sood; search multiple premises