Guwahati: Sunil Chhetri and Loitongbam Ashalata Devi have won the men’s and women’s footballer of the year award 2018-19 respectively, announced by All India Football Federation (AIFF), on Tuesday.
Chhetri stands second as the highest active international goal scorer with 70 strikes next to Cristiano Ronaldo at 149. He surpassed Argentinian football legend Lionel Messi (68) on July 7 at the opening match of the Intercontinental Cup 2019 against Tajikistan, to bag the runner-up spot.
The 34-year-old Bengaluru FC player and Indian skipper earlier won the honour in 2007, 2011, 2013, 2014 and 2017.
Chhetri said he draws inspiration from six times world champion and ace boxer MC Mary Kom.
Also, Manipur’s Dangmei Grace was announced as the emerging player of the year in the women’s category, and Sahal Abdul Samad was chosen in the men’s category.
Receiving the award, Grace said, “When I heard the news I was so surprised!”
- Why social media makes you feel bad and what to do about it
- Two new bird species found in Manipur
- TMC releases manifesto for Tripura polls, promises ‘Bengal model of development’
- Arunachal: 5G service launched in Itanagar
- Tripura 2023: Amit Shah to address two election rallies on Monday
- Manipur: Discover the hidden gems of ‘Land of Jewels’