Gangtok: An alert has been sounded for people living along the banks of Teesta river in Lachen and Chungthang after a cloudburst was reported at an undisclosed location upstream of Teesta-III dam in North Sikkim on Monday.
According to North Sikkim DM Raj Kumar Yadav, heavy inflow with muddy water and logs have been coming towards Teesta-V dam in Dickchu since 2.30 pm onwards. “Teesta III has released 600 cumecs of water from its Chungathang dam wef 12.30 pm,” he took to Facebook to disclose this.
As per Chungthang SDM, there has been no casualty or damages reported from Lachen yet, but the flow of water is very high in Lachen river. People of Lachen and Chungthang have been alerted about the situation, said reports.
Accordingly, Teesta-V is releasing heavy water from its dam. People living downstream of Teesta-V dam have been told to take adequate measures for any eventuality, said reports.
- Babul Supriyo meets Mamata Banerjee: ‘Had a very good discussion’
- NRC published in August 2019 is final: Assam Foreigners’ Tribunal
- China launches cargo spacecraft to carry supplies to its space station
- Russia: Pro-Kremlin party looks set to retain majority in parliament
- Racism: Jairam Ramesh, Shashi Tharoor slam UK Covid travel rules
- We take allegations of improper actions seriously: Amazon