Gangtok: The head of the department (HoD) of mass communication in Sikkim University, Professor Silajit Guha, has been removed from his post until further order following allegations of molestation against him by four students of the institute.
The Internal Complaints Committee (ICC) of Sikkim University has recommended the removal of the associate professor from his services with immediate effect.
In the complaint, the four students alleged that Prof Guha molested one of his students during a wedding ceremony in Ranipool.
Confirming the allegations, president of Sikkim University Student’s Association (SUSA), Palsang Tamang, while talking to EastMojo, said that the decision to remove the accused from his post was taken in the Internal Complaints Committee of the university. Prof Guha will be debarred from attending his official duty until the ongoing inquiry is over.
After week-long discussions among students, the victim finally mustered courage to speak up and, on Sunday, an official complaint was lodged with the department. Thereafter, three more students shared similar harassment cases that they faced with Guha, Tamang said.
It is also broadly alleged that Professor Guha had faced similar allegations a few years ago as he was allegedly found in an ‘embarrassing position’ with a student in one of the department rooms of the university.
- FIFA World Cup 2022 quarterfinals: Fixtures and schedule
- Arunachal: 4 years on, new orchid species from Mishmi Hills blooms
- Active Covid cases in country dip to 4,255
- Paresh Rawal summoned by Kolkata Police over ‘cook fish for Bengalis’ remarks
- India will give direction to world in ‘Amrit Kaal’: Modi in RS
- Footfall at Nagaland’s Hornbill festival? Over 66K tourists