Gangtok: Five tourists from West Bengal, including two women succumbed to injuries following a road mishap on Sunday. The group was returning from New Baba Mandir, a famous tourist spot in East Sikkim.
As per police daily report (DSR) – nine persons, including seven tourists, one driver and a local, were aboard a vehicle. Of which, four tourists died on the spot and one died on arrival to the hospital. The other two tourists along with the driver and local are undergoing treatment at New STNM Hospital, Sichey.
The vehicle fell off the road, about 400 metres down on reaching 7th Mile, JN road, while returning to Gangtok from their sight-seeing routine. However, due to bad weather, the vehicle could not be traced immediately. Later, with the help of local villagers and taxi drivers of JN Road and Home Guards, SDRF team retrieved the dead bodies and injured persons were sent to the hospital.
The deceased have been identified as Kakila Bose (42), Shenasish Bose (58), Soma Kar (32),Sandeep Kar (44), Subhajit Bose (26), all from Hoogly, West Bengal, police said.
- UK PM Rishi Sunak sacks Tory party chief over tax penalty row
- Arunachal CM asks BJP workers not to allow ‘money culture’ during elections
- Widows of deceased employee entitled to family pension: Gauhati HC
- Assam: APDCL to hike power tariff by 50 paise per unit from February 1
- Sikkim to see rallies over SC verdict on Sikkimese Nepali
- SC verdict has struck down word ‘Sikkimese’ as well: CAP