Gangtok: Sikkim men’s football team exited from the Santosh Trophy after losing to Punjab in Ludhiana on Monday. The Himalayan state lost 0-1 to register three losses in as many matches in the group stage, and is now out of the tournament organised by the All India Football Federation.
They still have one game left against Maharashtra on April 17. However, the result will make no difference. “Although we lost, the players played very well today. We were unable to convert the chances as usual,” said a Sikkim football official.
With Monday’s loss, Sikkim’s Santosh Trophy campaign came to an end but the team should be proud of making it to the final round of the tournament with its outstanding performances in the qualifying round, sports observers said.
Sikkim entered the final round of the tournament after a gap of 14 years.
The team couldn’t sustain in this round and replicate its performance but some of Sikkim players attracted scouts with their performances. As per sources, An Indian Army team has already made offers to a few boys, while football clubs from Goa have set sights on some of the state’s players.
- Home-grown artisans showcase creativity at 2nd Nagaland handmade jewellery exhibition
- China declares all cryptocurrency transactions illegal
- RN Ravi paved his own exit: NSCN-IM reminds new interlocutor
- Amazon Great Indian Festival 2021 dates announced. Check details
- All rural Nagaland households to get tap water by March 2023: Minister
- Assam Jobs: PMAY Urban Assam has 13 manager vacancies. Details here