Namchi: First-time voters turned out in good numbers to cast their ballots for the state assembly and Lok Sabha elections in South Sikkim on Thursday.
Many college students who attained 18 years of age and had enrolled their names in the voter’s list were more than happy to participate in the electoral process. Terming their participation to be extremely important in a democracy, Dawa Tshering Tamang, a student and a first-time voter, expressed her joy on being able to exercise her franchise.
Similarly, 22-year-old Rabin Chettri turned out to cast his vote for the Namchi-Singithang constituency. “I appeal the youths of the state to exercise their franchise and make good use of the voting rights conferred upon us by the constitution of the country,” he added.
As a gesture of encouragement, these first-time voters were felicitated with traditional silk scarfs at the polling stations.
Sikkim’s dancing icon Mingma D Lepcha of ‘Dance Plus Season 2’ fame was among the others to cast their votes in South Sikkim. He exercised his franchise at Gangyap ward under Namchi-Singithang constituency.
- Rashtrapati Bhavan’s Mughal Gardens renamed ‘Amrit Udyan’, to open from Jan 31
- Tunes based on ragas, mega drone show to be flavour of Beating Retreat ceremony
- Meghalaya only state in India denying education to children: Mukul Sangma
- Counsel ‘decourted’ for donning jeans in Gauhati HC
- Budget session of Mizoram Assembly from Feb 7 to March 13
- Amit Shah stresses on need to increase conviction rate in country