Gangtok: If you’re a keen observer of the Northeast region, you’d have heard of the girl students of Eklavya Model Residential School in Gangyap, Sikkim making news several years ago.
Born into finally-deprived families who could barely afford their education, a few young girls were encouraged by the school to play basketball. They practised so hard that the team went on to win the national championships in 2011, hence becoming the first basketball team from Sikkim to win a medal at the national level.
Thanks to its principal Siddhartha Yonzon, the school is back in the limelight. A video of students singing Bohemian Rhapsody, the classic number by British rock band Queen, is now winning hearts on social media.
Check out the video:
- Northeast industrial body hails Budget 2023 as ‘growth-oriented’
- Assam: G-20 delegates visit Kaziranga ahead of first series of events
- SDF demands CM’s resignation, blames Sikkim govt for ‘immigrant row’
- Meghalaya 2023: AICC takes on CM over ‘no development’ remark
- Now, Sikkim CM blames Chamling for taking old settlers’ issue to SC
- Tripura 2023: 400 companies of central forces to be deployed for polls