Gangtok: After the last day of withdrawal of nominations on Thursday, a total of 150 candidates remain in the electoral race for the 32-seat Assembly in Sikkim.
* Candidates: 10
* Seats: 3
* Residing officer for North Sikkim Raj K Yadav informed that there were no withdrawals for the three constituencies in the district.
* Sikkim Democratic Front (SDF) and Sikkim Krantikari Morcha (SKM) fielded candidates in each of the three constituencies, while Congress has two and Hamro Sikkim Party (HSP) has one contestant. Also, there is one independent candidate
* Candidates: 71
* Seats: 12 + 1 Sangha seat
* District election officer Kapil Meena informed that no withdrawal of nominations took place among the 71 candidates in contention for 13 seats in East Sikkim.
* Meanwhile, 11 Lok Sabha candidates too didn’t withdraw their nomination.
* Candidates: 31
* Seats: 8
* One candidate withdrew his nomination on the last day of withdrawal, following which now there are 31 candidates contesting for eight Assembly constituencies.
* Candidates: 38
* Seats: 8
* Two candidates withdrew their nomination, taking the total to 38 aspirants fighting for eight assembly seats. SDF and SKM have fielded candidates in all eight seats while other political parties like HSP, BJP, Congress, SRP, SRMP and others have also fielded their candidates.
* Chief minister and SDF president Pawan Chamling will be contesting from Namchi-Singhithang and Poklok-Kamrang constituencies, facing opposition from SKM’s Ganesh Rai and KB Rai, respectively.
* HSP president Bhaichung Bhutia is contesting from the BL reserved Tumin-Lingee and Gangtok constituency. He is facing opposition from sitting MLA Ugen T Gyatso Bhutia from SDF and Samdup Tshering Bhutia, respectively,
* Sitting MLA and Sikkim Rajya Manch Party president RN Chamling will be contesting from Rangang-Yangang constituency, formerly home constituency of chief minister Chamling. Rup Narayan who is the brother to the CM, faces opposition from SDF’s Raj Kumari Thapa and SKM candidate Raj Kumar Basnet.
Voting in the state will take place simultaneously for the assembly constituencies and the lone Lok Sabha seat on April 11.
- Report: Suspected Chinese hack targets Indian media, govt
- Will work towards balanced relations with India and China: Nepal FM
- Defence MoS appreciates civil-military bonhomie at Arunachal’s Tawang
- 45 BJP MPs across India have kin in politics: Assam Congress lawmaker
- Nagaland logs 31 new COVID-19 cases, 1 fresh fatality
- BJP plans to add six more organisational districts in Assam