Gangtok: Sikkim’s soccer team will undergo a week-long residential coaching camp in Mangan, North Sikkim as part of its preparation for the upcoming final round of the 73rd edition of Santosh Trophy.
After a gap of over a year, Sikkim has qualified for the final round of the prestigious tournament by finishing the qualifying round of group B from East Zone as the topper. The qualifying round was played in February.
The team members will start its practice at Mangan from Saturday. The final round will be played in Ludhiana, Punjab. Sikkim will take on Karnataka in its first match on April 11.
State captain Mayal Dok Lepcha said that the residential camp at Mangan is very important for the team to create better bonding and coordination among the players. He expressed happiness on the outstanding performance of the team in the qualifying round by knocking out strong sides like West Bengal and qualifying for the final. “We are all set for the final round. The players are in high spirit and are confident to perform much better in the final round,” he said.
Sikkim Football Association (SFA) president Menla Ethenpa congratulated the players for their performance in the qualifying round. He was hopeful that the team would give a tough fight to the opponents and perform even better in the finals.
He also thanked equipment partner Vector X for its support to SFA. Likewise, SFA vice-president, Chewang Paul also expressed best wishes to the team members.
Vector X marketing manager Mohit Arora assured to provide all possible support from the company. He also expressed his best wishes to the team.
- Meghalaya 2023: Busiest day in Garo Hills on day 4 of nominations
- No proposal to use remote voting machine in “upcoming election” in country: Rijiju in LS
- Tripura 2023: LF-Cong alliance has no mission or vision, says Bengal LoP
- ‘Immigrant’ Row: Sikkim CM’s effigies burnt, SDF calls for shutdown
- Fee payment delay: Gauhati HC sets aside notice declaring students ‘non-collegiate’
- Tripura Polls: Union Minister Pratima Bhoumik holds campaign in Dhanpur