Gangtok: Sikkim’s Edu T Bhutia has set the world record for the highest incline bench press in strength lifting (women’s category, 75 kg) at the 7th International Strength Lifting and Incline Bench Press Championship 2019 that concluded at Pench in Madhya Pradesh on Sunday.
Apart from Bhutia, two other women lifters from Sikkim — Ranju Sundas and Kalpana Chettri — also secured double gold medals in their respective categories.
Eleven athletes from Sikkim, including eight men and three women, were selected to represent India at the championship that was held from January 17 to 20. The championship was organised by the Asian Strength Lifting Federation in coordination with Indian Strength Lifting Federation and Maharashtra Strength Lifting Association.
The team from Sikkim Strength Lifting Association (SSA) was headed by chief coach and international gold medalist Pema Dorjee Bhutia.
Sikkim team has won 10 gold, 5 silver and 6 bronze medals.
- Vishwakarma Puja 2021: Wishes, greetings and significance
- Vishwakarma Puja: Ancient marvels designed by the divine architect
- Assam: Biswanath girl, in shorts, made to wrap curtain to sit for exam
- Not an inch should be given to Assam: Meghalaya Opposition
- Dhoni part of 15-member defence ministry panel on NCC
- Mizo RS member K. Vanlalvena tests positive for COVID-19