Gangtok: To get various grants and freebies from the government, people from different sections of the society took part in the second Janata Mela at Rorathang in East Sikkim on Wednesday.
Participating in the Mela, Sikkim chief minister Pawan Kumar Chamling doled out various grants and freebies among the beneficiaries.
Addressing a public meeting soon after the distribution of materials, Chamling lashed out at the Opposition for unnecessarily opposing various government schemes meant for public welfare.
“Only because of the ruling Sikkim Democratic Front (SDF), Sikkim has turned into one of the most peaceful states of the Northeast. In our next term, we will try our level best to make Sikkim as one of the best states of the world,” Chamling said.
Rebutting the Opposition call for a change in government in the ensuing Assembly election, Chamling further said that changes should be constructive, creative and qualitative. “However, the Opposition parties are destructive and divisive,” he said.
In his speech, CM Chamling said that over 1 lakh households and 1.70 lakh people have benefited from the Janata Mela so far. Those left out would be accommodated before elections, he added.
Along the various materials, laptops, cookers and tin sheets were also distributed among the beneficiaries during the programme. Altogether, 116 landless Sikkim families were also allotted land during the Mela.
- US: ‘Unwavering commitment’ to India as Major defence partner
- Over 82.57 cr COVID vaccine doses given to states, UTs so far: Govt
- World Pharmacist Day: Know why it is celebrated, theme for this year
- COVID-19 recoveries continue to surpass fresh cases in Arunachal
- Women’s rights activist Kamla Bhasin passes away at 75
- Nagaland Lottery September 25: Check Dear Kosai Morning lottery result