Guwahati: A total of 56 incidents of stone pelting were reported under the Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) in 2022, and an awareness drive has been launched against such offences, an official said.
Three stone-pelting incidents have been reported till January 17 this year, he said, adding, three people were arrested in this connection.
The Railway Protection Force (RPF) has launched an awareness drive against such offences under ‘Operation Janjagaran’, the official said.
“Pelting stones or similar objects on trains is a criminal offence under sections 152, 153 and 154 prescribed in the Railway Act. The offender shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend up to 10 years,” NFR said in a release.
Help sustain honest journalism.
Operation Janjagaran’ covers nearby localities of railway tracks and stations, villages and schools, among other places, it said.
The RPF conducts surprise checks at vulnerable locations and takes legal action against offenders to curb the menace, the release said.
- What to do if your kid is biting, hitting and kicking?
- Assam: GP Singh takes charge as DGP, pledges to make force citizen-centric
- Nagaland 2023: Two legislators resign from state Assembly session
- Arunachal: Wanted militant of NSCN (IM) arrested from Longding district
- Meghalaya 2023: Will ghost of CBI case haunt Ampareen’s candidacy?
- Nagaland govt and Patanjali Foods ink pact for Oil Palm Plantations