States across Northeast India were battered by heavy rains on Friday, with reports of landslides and damage to houses and roads coming from Assam, Meghalaya, Sikkim and Arunachal so far.
The Met department has forecast extremely heavy to heavy rainfall accompanied with thunderstorms across all northeast states, including parts of Assam, Meghalaya, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Nagaland, Tripura, Mizoram and Sikkim, as well as sub-Himalayan West Bengal on Friday. The rains are likely to lash these areas until Monday.
“Moisture incursion from the Bay of Bengal is taking place over to Northeast India due to strong lower level southerly and southwesterly winds during May 13-17 May,” a statement issued by the Guwahati centre of the India Meteorological Department said on Friday.
Under the influence of these weather systems, the Met department said widespread rainfall accompanied with thunderstorm/lightning and heavy to very heavy rainfall at isolated places very likely over Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura.
The Met department forecast extremely heavy rains for Meghalaya during this period.
The Meghalaya Met office said thunderstorm/lightning and light to moderate rainfall is very likely to continue over most places until late on Friday, with intermittent intense spells of rain in West Garo Hills, South West Garo Hills, East Khasi Hills, West Jaintia Hills and Ribhoi districts.
“Strong southwesterly winds from the Bay of Bengal to the northeast and adjoining east India at lower tropospheric levels are likely to result in isolated extremely heavy to very heavy rainfall over Arunachal, Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Sikkim, Mizoram and Tripura till May 16,” a Met department official said.
- Assam: G20 delegates mesmerised by diverse culture and hospitality
- India, France, UAE unveil plan for cooperation under trilateral framework
- Sri Lanka must correct its ‘errors and failures’: President at 75th I-Day
- Nagaland govt restrict drugs sale to fight drug menace, pharma trafficking
- Assam: Chargesheet against doctors, magistrate in minor’s murder case
- Nagaland: Rs. 28.96 cr in cash, IMFL, drugs seized ahead of Assembly polls