Shillong: A team of scientists from North-Eastern Hill University (NEHU) here has discovered the first cicada species of Nagaland.
The insect species has been named Platylomia Kohimaensis, Dr S R Hajong, an associate professor and an entomologist in NEHU’s Department of Zoology, told PTI.
Hajong along with co-author Dr Limatemjen published the findings in the taxonomy journal ‘Zootaxa’ on Tuesday.
“The study was part of a project funded by the Centre’s Department of Biotechnology under which, 70 cicada species from the Northeast were inventoried,” Hajong added.
- Assam: First-ever dog cemetery commissioned in Sonapur
- Witness says NCB official demanded Rs 25 cr from Shah Rukh Khan to release son
- Process of sanctioning new China border battalions for ITBP in final stage: Rai
- NIT Sikkim’s permanent campus to be ready in 3 years: minister
- Elephant dies due to electrocution in Assam
- Sikkim reports 32 new COVID-19 cases, tally rises to 31,900