Fresh reports emerged of clashes between security officials of Assam and Meghalaya along the inter-state border.
The region has been tense since Tuesday and things intensified on Wednesday when Meghalaya residents allegedly tried to ‘forcefully’ cross into Assam near the Umlapher area of Karbi Anglong district. After this, police officials from Karbi Anglong pushed the mob from Meghalaya back, which led to a face-off between security personnel of both states. Police officials held talks with the locals and urged them to maintain peace along the border and calm down the situation.
On Tuesday, Assam police had vacated a check post located in Umlapher after a clash broke out between locals from both sides. According to reports, while two youths received grievous injuries, one escaped unhurt after they were reportedly assaulted by Assam Police personnel while they were on their way home from Mawlasnai. Following the incident, angry residents took to the streets to register their protest.
The situation remains tense but under control for now.
Assam’s border issues have remained in news for the past two months, especially its border with Mizoram. On July 26, 2021, six Assam Police personnel were killed in clashes with Mizoram Police. During this period, there have also been clashes on the Meghalaya and Nagaland borders.
- PM Modi turns 71: Here’s how Nagaland celebrated
- Leaders of Lanka, Nepal wish PM Modi on his 71st birthday
- Daily COVID-19 vaccination crosses 1-crore mark for the fourth time
- India’s 61st Software Technology park centre opened in Nagaland
- How 35 people in Assam’s Udalguri came together to create a man-made forest
- Mizoram extends COVID-19 restrictions amid grim situation