Assam and Mizoram have been engaged in the boundary dispute for over a century now. On July 26, 2021, the dispute over the state boundary escalated, leaving seven Assam policemen dead. Over 60 individuals were injured.
While social media saw a rise of racist comments against Mizoram, the arguments quickly took a sour turn so as to find out which side fired shots first. Several videos emerged where Mizoram police can be seen celebrating after the death of the six Assam policemen. After #Assamshotfirst trended yesterday, social media platform Twitter saw a rise of #ShameonAssam.
People are questioning the decision of the Assam police to shoot the Mizo Police after occupying their camp. The attack by Assam police is claimed to be unwarranted. People are showing distress over the fact that the civilians were assaulted with tear gas and stones. The video of Mizoram police celebrating is explained to be the celebration of retreat of the Assam Police and not the injuries. Assam is being blamed for breaking the status quo.
- Meghalaya 2023: Busiest day in Garo Hills on day 4 of nominations
- No proposal to use remote voting machine in “upcoming election” in country: Rijiju in LS
- Tripura 2023: LF-Cong alliance has no mission or vision, says Bengal LoP
- ‘Immigrant’ Row: Sikkim CM’s effigies burnt, SDF calls for shutdown
- Fee payment delay: Gauhati HC sets aside notice declaring students ‘non-collegiate’
- Tripura Polls: Union Minister Pratima Bhoumik holds campaign in Dhanpur