Assam and Mizoram have been engaged in the boundary dispute for over a century now. On July 26, 2021, the dispute over the state boundary escalated, leaving seven Assam policemen dead. Over 60 individuals were injured.
While social media saw a rise of racist comments against Mizoram, the arguments quickly took a sour turn so as to find out which side fired shots first. Several videos emerged where Mizoram police can be seen celebrating after the death of the six Assam policemen. After #Assamshotfirst trended yesterday, social media platform Twitter saw a rise of #ShameonAssam.
People are questioning the decision of the Assam police to shoot the Mizo Police after occupying their camp. The attack by Assam police is claimed to be unwarranted. People are showing distress over the fact that the civilians were assaulted with tear gas and stones. The video of Mizoram police celebrating is explained to be the celebration of retreat of the Assam Police and not the injuries. Assam is being blamed for breaking the status quo.
- Northeast: Share a 2-minute video, show the world you are ‘Fit for Life’
- Assam BJP to enrol 18 lakh members
- PM CARES not government fund; works with transparency: HC told
- Bhabanipur bypoll: Man arrested for spreading communal WhatsApp texts
- Khanapara Morning Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 23
- Assam: 45 high schools upgraded to higher secondary