Imphal: At least two drug smugglers were arrested on Monday in Imphal West with a huge consignment of illegal drugs, according to an official.
Acting on specific information, officers of the Anti-Smuggling Unit of the Customs Division in Imphal conducted an operation and arrested two individuals near Keithalmanbi in Imphal West at around 3:40 pm.
The officers seized a huge quantity of narcotic items, including 26,800 amphetamine tablets and 760 grams of raw opium. The estimated value of the seized items in the international market is Rs 2.69 crore.
The two arrested persons have been identified as Bahar Uddin Kaji, 36, of Baladhan Grant in Assam’s Cachar and Panithan Panmai, 24, of Lukhambi, Noney.
Help sustain honest journalism.
Both the arrested persons have been booked under the relevant section of the NDPS Act, 1985.
Further investigation to nab the other offender(s) is ongoing.
Also Read | Security situation in NE has improved a lot: Lt Gen Kalita
- Northeast needs a lot of things: Hindi is not one of them
- Rahul disqualification an ‘own goal’ by BJP, says Shashi Tharoor
- Rahul Gandhi should accept court verdict: Meghalaya CM
- Centre withdraws AFSPA from 4 more police stations in Manipur
- Climate change threatening tea sector globally: ITA
- Sikkim: Army, BRO launch snow-clearing ops; rescue 1,400 tourists