Houston: In a tragic incident, two Indian students from Telangana drowned in the Lake of the Ozarks in the US state of Missouri during the Thanksgiving weekend, according to police.
The victims were identified as 24-year-old Uthej Kunta, and 25-year-old Shiva Kelligari by the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
The two Indian nationals from Telangana drowned in the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri on Saturday. Details of the victims were not immediately known.
Telangana minister K.T. Rama Rao in a tweet said that he has asked his team to assist the victims’ families in getting the mortal remains back as soon as possible.
First responders received a call on Saturday at 2:20 p.m. requesting assistance locating the two, the Missouri State Highway Patrol’s Twitter page tweeted on Sunday.
The incident took place when Kunta who went swimming in the lake failed to surface. His friend Kelligari then jumped into the lake to rescue Kunta but failed to come back up too, the police statement said.
Kunta’s body was recovered two hours after the incident by the rescue services on Saturday while Kelligari’s body was recovered later on Sunday, police said.
Both were pronounced dead on scene, according to police records.
The manager of the Airbnb where the two were staying said that he called the emergency services after hearing cries for help.
“I called 911 and my daughter also called 911,” he said.
“My brother jumped in the water and tried to save him but by the time he got to the kayak, they were already gone,” he was quoted as saying by the local television channel KY3.com.
- Band of ‘Bharat Yatris’ already raring to go on next yatra for Congress
- Doomsday Clock is at 90 secs to midnight, closest ever to global catastrophe
- Darjeeling MP terms SC’s ‘foreigners’ judgement highly objectionable
- Rollout of HPV vaccine: Govt’s likely to float global tender in April
- What happens to data when we no longer use social media network
- Meghalaya polls: BJP, TMC will win no seats in Garo Hills, says Marcuise Marak