Guwahati/Karimganj: In one of the biggest drug hauls in recent times, over 4,700 kg of ganja has been seized in Karimganj district of Assam, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said on Tuesday.
The contraband was being transported in a truck when the Assam Police seized it on Monday during a routine check-up at a place under the Churaibari police station limits, an officer said.
“In largest seizure in a while by @assampolice, @karimganjpolice seized 4,728 kg ganja hidden under sheets of natural rubber in a truck coming from a neighbouring state on Monday,” Sarma wrote on Twitter.
The chief minister lauded the state police personnel for their efforts.
A senior police official said that the truck was coming from Tripura.
“When the driver saw a police checkpoint, he stopped the vehicle and fled the spot taking advantage of darkness. The police searched the truck thoroughly and recovered the ganja under the rubber sheets,” he said.
The police seized the vehicle and launched an operation to apprehend the culprit, the official added.
- Nepal polls: Rise of two new parties ends monopoly of traditional forces in Madhes region
- Over 2,900 communal violence cases registered in India in last 5 years
- India will steer celebration of International Millet Year 2023: PM
- India home to diversity of faiths; will continue to encourage it: US
- Rlys achieves 1,000 MT milestone for FY 2022-23
- Bogtui massacre: CBI arrests slain TMC leader’s stepbrother