Gangtok: An ITBP jawan was arrested in Sikkim for allegedly raping a 13-year-old girl multiple times at his official quarters after which she became pregnant, police said on Sunday.
In her complaint, the girl’s mother alleged that a teenage local boy also sexually assaulted her for months. Police said they have detained the boy as well.
The girl’s mother alleged that the paramilitary personnel, an assistant sub-inspector, raped her multiple times at his residential quarters since April.
Police booked the jawan, a native of Uttarakhand’s Pithoragarh district, under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act’s section 4 (punishment for penetrative sexual assault) and section 6 (punishment for aggravated penetrative sexual assault).
In the same complaint, the girl’s mother alleged that the local boy was also sexually assaulting her since February.
Police said they have nabbed the boy and taken legal action against him.
The girl was medically examined at the primary health care, they said.
Police said they are investigating the case, and trying to ascertain if the local boy and the ITBP jawan had any connection.
The sequence of events is being established, they said, refusing to divulge details about how the alleged rapes and assaults continued for so long.
- Demand for sand in Bangladesh escalates illegal activities, threatens environment
- India and Nepal agree to take Sapta Kosi high dam project forward
- ‘Serial’ podcast’s Adnan Syed has murder conviction vacated. How common are wrongful convictions?
- Nagaland failed to submit Rs 600 cr utilisation certificates for 251 projects: CAG
- What’s this ‘longevity’ diet, and will it really make you live longer?
- Pakistan seeks peace with all neighbours including India: PM Shehbaz at UN