Guwahati: A 45-year-old woman was allegedly killed and hung from a tree on suspicion of practicing witchcraft in Assam’s Kokrajhar district, police said on Monday.
Three people have been arrested so far in connection with the incident that took place in Mohanpur village in Gossaigaon police station area, an officer said.
The woman went missing from the village on Saturday and her husband informed the headman who in turn filed a police complaint on the same day.
Police and the villagers launched a search for the woman and found her hanging from a tree on the outskirts of the village on Sunday night, the officer said.
Stab wounds have been found on her body, leading to the suspicion that she might have been killed before being hung, he said, adding that the body was sent for post-mortem examination.
- An expert explains the recipe for making the perfect romcom
- Mizoram records 534.42 crores loss over two years due to African Swine Fever
- Arunachal: Tawang Marathon draws massive participation from across India, UK
- Mizoram Chief Minister accuses ZPM of contradictory actions regarding Chakma votes
- NASA just brought back the largest-ever asteroid sample
- Manipur: Wife of man arrested by NIA says he is wrongly implicated