Barpeta District and Sessions judge Paresh Chakraborty granted bail to Mevani on a Personal Recognisance (PR) bond of Rs 1,000 in the case filed at the Barpeta Road police station.
The court had heard Mevani’s lawyer and the public prosecutor on Thursday on the bail application and reserved the order for Friday.
The Dalit leader was arrested in this case on Monday soon after he was released on bail in another case in Kokrajhar district.
Mevani, an Independent MLA backed by the Congress, was first arrested on April 19 from Palanpur town in Gujarat, and was brought to Kokrajhar for tweeting against Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
It is alleged that he assaulted the woman officer when she was accompanying him from Guwahati airport to Kokrajhar along with senior police officials.
In this case, he was booked under IPC sections 294 (uttering obscene words in public), 323 (voluntarily causing hurt), 353 (assaulting a public servant in the execution of duty) and 354 (using criminal force to a woman intending to outrage her modesty).
The court had Tuesday sent him to five days in police custody.
- Manipur: Two militants of banned Kuki outfit arrested
- World Chocolate Day: 10 Fun facts you didn’t know!
- Film industry being singled out as ‘worst place in the world’: Deepti Naval
- Govt bulldozing people’s budget through inflation: Cong on LPG price hike
- Political instability deepens in Sri Lanka as Aviation Minister resigns
- Bus service to Kathmandu starts from West Bengal’s Siliguri