Imphal: In a major breakthrough, Loktak Battalion of Assam Rifles, under the aegis of IGAR (South) and in a joint operation with Manipur Police, has arrested six insurgents, including a self-styled defence secretary and external affairs of Hmar People’s Convention-Democratic (LK Hmar faction).
LK Hmar faction is a Mizoram-based militant group. The insurgents were arrested from Rengkai village in Churachandpur district on Wednesday, said an official.
As per official statement, based on specific input from reliable sources, troops of Assam Rifles along with Manipur Police launched an operation which led to the apprehensions.
During the operation, one 9mm Sig Sauer Pistol along with two magazines and 19 rounds were recovered from the insurgents, the statement said.
The official also stated that the insurgents were involved in various anti- national activities in the past.
The arrested insurgents and recovered items have been handed over to Churachandpur Police Station for further investigation, it added.
- China opposes India’s reported plan to hold G20 meeting in J&K
- Recognise ‘Sarna’ religion for Adivasis, we are not Hindu: Assam, other tribals
- We call for full respect of all religions: UN spokesperson on Udaipur killing
- Shillong-based folk-fusion outfit Summersalt releases sophomore album
- National Doctors’ Day: Significance, History, Wishes and Messages
- Women’s Hockey WC: Netherlands start as firm faves, India aim for a first