Imphal: In a major breakthrough, Loktak Battalion of Assam Rifles, under the aegis of IGAR (South) and in a joint operation with Manipur Police, has arrested six insurgents, including a self-styled defence secretary and external affairs of Hmar People’s Convention-Democratic (LK Hmar faction).
LK Hmar faction is a Mizoram-based militant group. The insurgents were arrested from Rengkai village in Churachandpur district on Wednesday, said an official.
As per official statement, based on specific input from reliable sources, troops of Assam Rifles along with Manipur Police launched an operation which led to the apprehensions.
During the operation, one 9mm Sig Sauer Pistol along with two magazines and 19 rounds were recovered from the insurgents, the statement said.
The official also stated that the insurgents were involved in various anti- national activities in the past.
The arrested insurgents and recovered items have been handed over to Churachandpur Police Station for further investigation, it added.
- Nagaland 2023: Two legislators resign from state Assembly session
- Arunachal: Wanted militant of NSCN (IM) arrested from Longding district
- Meghalaya 2023: Will ghost of CBI case haunt Ampareen’s candidacy?
- Nagaland govt and Patanjali Foods ink pact for Oil Palm Plantations
- Assam tea firm honours 30 years of India-Georgia relations with new blend
- Govt took steps to deal with infra development challenges: Prez Murmu