Itanagar: More than 30 houses and commercial establishments were gutted and property worth crores of rupees was destroyed after a devastating fire broke out at Yingkiong, the headquarters of Upper Siang district on Thursday afternoon.
No person was, however, injured in the incident while the cause of the inferno is yet to be ascertained.
Upper Siang Deputy Superintendent of Police Opir Paron said the fire broke out around 2 pm and was brought under control by 6 pm.
“Around 33 houses, including shops, have been completely gutted in the fire and the numbers could rise by tomorrow,” he said, while adding that property estimated to be around Rs 4 to Rs 5 crore has been destroyed in the incident.
Yingkiong Market Welfare Committee (YMWC) secretary Taram Libang said that several shops have suffered heavy losses.
He said the fire tenders could not reach in time but the fire was doused thanks to the combined efforts of the GREF, BRO and army personnel and the public.
- PM’s call for mass drive on Sunday an insult: Manipur TNL
- Assam: Train equipped with state-of-art features flagged off
- No hope of Left’s revival in Tripura, says leader of Oppn Animesh Debbarma
- How a neurosurgeon is training the next gen of Wushu athletes of Manipur
- Meghalaya: Harijan Colony issue could be solved this year, says deputy CM
- Tripura: National Highway blocked, railway affected during TIPRA bandh