Aizawl: In a major clampdown on drug trade, two persons, one of them a Myanmar national, have been arrested for possessing heroin worth over Rs. 1.5 crore during operations at two different locations in Mizoram’s Champhai district near the Myanmar border.
Police said that patrolling party at the Zokhawthar police station in Champhai district on the Indo-Myanmar border have seized 314 grams of heroin on the outskirts of Melbuk village in the same district on Tuesday night.
The contraband worth Rs 1.5 crore in the international market was concealed in 23 soap cases, the police said. A peddler identified as Lalhualhima, a resident of Zokhawthar, has been arrested for possessing the contraband, they said.
In another seizure, the State Excise and Narcotics Department raided an area in New Champhai on Tuesday night and seized 128 grams of heroin from the possession of a Myanmar woman identified as Tingzamhuaii, an official said.
The contraband estimated to be worth Rs 3.5 lakh in the local market was believed to be smuggled from Myanmar, he said.
The accused has been booked under relevant sections of the Narcotic Drugs & Psychotropic Substances Act 1985, the official added.
Also Read: Mizoram reports 149 new COVID-19 cases
- World Sports Journalist Day 2022: History, significance and more
- On World UFO Day, a look at UFO ‘sightings’ in Northeast
- From Greenland shark to seafaring cockatoo: Meet 5 remarkably old animals
- Pak steeply hikes petrol prices under deal with IMF to revive bailout programme
- Meghalaya: Deputy CM meets protesting teachers, assures support
- Murmu has better chances to win prez polls after Maha development: Mamata