Kohima: Clad in a Konyak Naga traditional attire, Nagaland’s first woman Rajya Sabha (RS) member, S Phangnon Konyak, on Monday took oath as a member of the Upper House, in the presence of chairman M. Venkaiah Naidu and other parliamentarians.
The 44-year-old had become the second female parliamentarian from the state after she was declared duly elected uncontested to fill Nagaland’s lone seat in the Council of States.
The BJP state unit Mahila Morcha president takes charge of the office after former RS member KG Kenye retired on April 2.
Taking to Twitter, state BJP president Temjen Imna Along said, “Heartiest congratulations to Smti. @phangnon on taking oath as the MP of Rajya Sabha today. The entire team of @BJP4Nagaland is proud of your much-deserved attainment. May you continue to be an inspiration to all women as you take on this new venture.”
Deputy CM Y Patton, who was part of the ceremony, said, “Attended the oath taking ceremony of Smti @phangnon as MP Rajya Sabha, joined by my colleagues Shri @jacob_zhimomi and Shri @MmhonlumoKikon. On this historic moment, I congratulate her once again and extend my profound gratitude to our alliance partners for their support.”
- Manipur: Five-armed village volunteers get bail in Imphal
- Mizo social activist wins inaugural Zakapa Award for advocating women’s safety
- Manipur govt issues show-cause notice to Airtel for data leakage
- Manipur: Only dialogue can bring peace, says HAC chairman
- Why delimitation is perceived as a threat to tribals in Tripura
- The Top 10 Universities in Australia: Shaping the Future