Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Sunday named Shatrughan Sinha as TMC’s candidate for bypoll to Asansol parliamentary seat, and Babul Supiyo as nominee for Ballygunge assembly byelection.
“Happy to announce on behalf of the All India Trinamool Congress that Sri Shatrughan Sinha, former Union Minister and famed actor, will be our candidate in Lok Sabha by-election from Asansol,” the TMC boss tweeted.
“Sri Babul Supriyo, former union minister and noted singer, will be our candidate in Vidhansabha by-election from Ballygunge. Jai Hind, Jai Bangla, Jai Ma- Mati- Manush!” she wrote.
The Asansol Lok Sabha seat fell vacant after Supriyo, a two-time BJP MP, quit the saffron party last year and joined the TMC.
The Ballygunge assembly seat fell vacant following the demise of state minister Subrata Mukherjee.
- Budget 2023: Highest-ever outlay of Rs 2.40 lakh crore for railways
- Assam: Heroin worth over Rs 3cr seized in Karbi Anglong, 3 held
- Tripura 2023: EC rejects CPI(M)’s complaint against BJP candidate
- Budget 2023: FM announces new savings scheme for women
- Assam: Priest, two others held for drug peddling in Nagaon
- Two years after Myanmar coup, India’s national security still at risk