Shillong: A medical student from Meghalaya has returned home from Ukraine but 16 others from the state are still stranded in the war-torn country, officials said.
Ishika Debnath, a resident of Laitumkhrah area in Shillong, has arrived here on Sunday after taking a flight from Ukraine’s neighbour Romania, they said.
A student of Bukovanian State Medical University, Debnath had taken the flight after crossing the Ukraine-Romania border with the help of the Indian Embassy, her parents said.
Debnath said she boarded a bus from her university and reached the border on February 24.
“We got off the bus and walked for around 4-5 km before crossing the border, and were then escorted to the airport,” she said.
Debnath said she heaved a sigh of relief after finding her name in the second Indian Embassy list of 240 students who would be evacuated.
“There were some Assam students from my batch, and I was the only one from Meghalaya,” she said.
At least 16 other students from the state are still stranded in Ukraine.
Chief Secretary R V Suchiang said that the state government is in constant touch with the Ministry of External Affairs to ensure the safe return of the remaining students.
- Shillong Morning Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for November 26
- Legendary hero Lachit Barphukan has got his due: Historian Vikram Sampath
- Mumbai terror attacks: Nation remembers with gratitude all those we lost, says Prez Murmu
- Vote NPF for development of Nagaland: Party leader Thenucho Tunyi
- Hardcore: Elon Musk’s management style case study in what not to do
- Meghalaya firing: NHRC issues notice to Assam & Meghalaya