Guwahati: The Tinsukia District Magistrate on Thursday imposed Section 144 in the district vide an official notification ahead of the municipal elections in Assam.
The order is passed to ensure there is no misuse of mikes, loudspeakers and public announcement systems to ensure free and fair elections, and to make sure that peace and tranquillity prevails.
Earlier, the state election commission had announced that 20,000 to 25,000 government staffers will be deployed to ensure smooth polling in the upcoming municipal elections which will take place on a total of 2,054 booths.
Elections in 977 municipal wards of 90 municipal boards of Assam will be held on March 6. For the first time, polling will be conducted via EVMs (electronic voting machines) in the civic body polls.
Also read: Assam HPCL mills national assets, can’t be sold to private entity: JACRU
- Resilient gorillas reveal clues about overcoming childhood misfortune
- Dalai Lama congratulates Turkiye President Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- Assam: Massive fire breaks out at Numaligarh refinery
- Meghalaya: Panel propose all-party stand on Roster system
- Guwahati: Panel to probe accident that killed 7 engineering students
- Tribal bodies demand President’s Rule in violence-hit Manipur