Diphu: A huge cache of arms and ammunition, suspected to be of militant outfit KDLF, was recovered from a forest area in Assam’s Karbi Anglong district, police said on Sunday.
The arms and ammunition were found buried in the forest behind a botanical garden near Diphu-Lumding Road, the police said.
The police acted on a tip-off that arms and ammunition were hidden at the spot by the self-styled chairman of Karbi Democratic Liberation Front (KDLF), Jackson Ronghang, who was killed in a gunfight with security forces in December last year, said Diphu police station officer in charge JS Khobung.
Police have been searching the area for the arms and it was finally discovered on Saturday afternoon, he said.
No arrests have been made so far in connection with the recoveries, he added.
Among the items recovered are a .22 rifle, a .303 rifle, a hand-made pistol, several grenades and detonators, magazines and explosives of different kinds.
- Shooting included in 2026 CWG but wrestling and archery miss out
- How small acts of kindness can make you happier & healthier
- What is click chemistry that won chemist trio Nobel Prize?
- Good coffee vs bad coffee: Curious tastes of cultural omnivores
- India announce 21-member squad for FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup
- Doomsday bunkers, Mars and ‘The Mindset’: the tech bros trying to outsmart the end of the world