Gangtok: This year’s state-level Republic Day celebration in Sikkim will be held at Manan Kendra, a government building complex in Gangtok, and not in Paljor Stadium, the usual venue, as the administration on Monday decided to keep it a low-key affair amid the Covid-19 pandemic, an official statement said.
During a meeting attended by senior government officers and representatives of the Army and the Indo-Tibetan Border Police, it was decided that the state-level Republic Day celebration will be organised at ‘Manan Kendra’ in view of the Covid-19 situation.
‘Manan Kendra’ is a state building complex located in the development area in Gangtok. It houses various departments and an auditorium.
The event will be organised on a smaller scale in compliance with the Covid-19 guidelines, the statement said.
It added that the Republic Day functions to be held in the districts and sub-divisions will follow the guidelines laid down for the state-level event.
The small Himalayan state on Monday reported 217 new coronavirus cases, 96 less than the previous day, with the tally rising to 34,929.
- PM Modi meets UP ministers in Lucknow, stresses on good governance
- Rajnath Singh launches 2 indigenously built warships ‘Surat’ and ‘Udaygiri’
- Trained sniffer dogs may detect Covid infected airport passengers: Study
- WPI inflation at record high in April on price rise across all items
- Manipur: Even floods can’t stop these kids from coming to school in Noney
- Govt OKs exporting wheat registered with customs prior to ban