Mumbai: Mumbai cyber police have detained a 21-year-old engineering student from Bengaluru in connection with the ‘Bulli Bai’ app case, an official said on Tuesday.
Police had filed a first information report against unknown persons following complaints that photographs of Muslim women were uploaded for auction’ on the app hosted by GitHub platform.
The suspect was detained on Monday, the official said.
Mumbai cyber police station had also registered a case against the app developers and Twitter handles that promoted the app.
Hundreds of Muslim women were listed for ‘auction’ on the ‘Bulli Bai’ app with photographs sourced without permission and doctored. It has happened for the second time in less than a year. The app appeared to be a clone of Sulli Deals which triggered a similar row last year.
- Is generative AI bad for the environment? A computer scientist explains
- Researchers pitch for more studies, trials of medicinal plants for diabetes management
- Five rare and very unusual psychiatric syndromes
- What Greek mythology teaches us about women’s resistance and rebellion
- Yuva Sangam great initiative to promote people-to-people connect: PM
- World’s oldest Homo sapiens footprint identified on South Africa’s Cape south coast